Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can I get higher quality/pretty dance shoes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Music and Shoes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nina bambina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Where can I get higher quality/pretty dance shoes? Reply with quote

Recently, I've been asked by a number of students where I get my salsa shoes from, so I decided to post that information on the forum:

If you're looking for a good selection and better qualtiy dance shoes in Toronto, the best place to look might be Addicted2Dance Shoes. There website is: www.addicted2danceshoes.com/

Pros:
- higher quality (which means better, longer-lasting material, no fraying)
- larger selection of shoes
- they look pretty! (The pair I have, which has attracted a lot of attention is the one with rhinestones at the front with black satin material - Brand: Eckse)
- made for professional dancers (which means comfort as well as appearance)

Cons:
- More expensive (A pair of shoes from this place can be >$150 CAD, depending on what brand and shoe you buy, but they will last longer than the cheaper shoes you can buy for under $100)

Here are a few other tips:
- For optimal looks and comfort, I would always go with a 2.5" heel. Anything higher than that is just too uncomfortable to wear all night. But if you don't mind the look of a shorter heel, then get something lower.
- Caryl (one of our favourite salsa instructors) loves Dance Naturals (I found them to be too narrow for my feet but if they feel good for you, this is a very good quatlity shoe - they cost around $200)
- My favourite salsa brand is now Eckse because they're comfortable and so pretty! They cost a little less than Dance Naturals (~$150) because they're not made with leather.
- Ray Rose and Werner Kern are brand name shoes in the latin ballroom genre...they are very good qualtiy but are used mostly by ballroom dancers.
- I would not get the Stephanie's (I got a pair and already you see fraying in the satin)
Salsasian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Werner Kerns for men Reply with quote

For the men, in case you're looking for a super comfortable pair of dance shoes that make you look fantastic check out the Werner Kern's. I've searched high and low to find men's dance shoes that are well made, danceable, and actually make you look good. Most of their designs look just like modern (as in this year and not sometime from a decade or two ago) dress shoes.

Check out their official site:
http://www.werner-kern.de/herren-tanzschuhe.html

Addicted 2 Dance carries them as well.

Dance like no one's watching.
SKDanceLover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! I gave up on finding salsa heels after going to Century Wide and finding nothing comfortable! I don't know if it's just me...maybe I'm not used to the way salsa shoes feel but they didn't feel right at all. My Michael Kors heels that I use for salsa are really suffering Sad it's gunna be time to buy some real dancing shoes soon!
velina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my...I cannot believe you dance in Michael Kors. Aren't they ruined? I mean, I bet they are as comfortable as slippers and will last a lifetime but...oh such shoes are for looking at them, not for walking, and definitely not for dancing Laughing
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha...Velina, that's the same expression I gave Sonya when I found out that MK's were her salsa shoes. They do look comfy though I don't think they're her 'going out' shoes anymore.
Once you dance in comfy dance shoes you won't go back.
velina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, for me, the best Latin shoes have been Freed of London. Comfortable and sexy...
You can check them out here: http://www.freedoflondon.com/cat/catalog_main.php?cat=1
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But this is a London based shoe store...they ship to Canada?
velina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they ship but they are pricey http://www.freedshop.com/
I buy mine from a store in the States.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Music and Shoes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: