Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on Vida Lounge?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Thoughts on Vida Lounge? Reply with quote

Hope everyone had a great time at the outing to Vida Lounge. I had a great time there and was surprised at how much better it was this time. We went there last year when it was Stir Lounge and it was a good time but very tight. This time close to 250ppl came and, while it was busy at times, there was still space to dance. I know the floors and heat were an issue but they are issues at most places. Any other comments about the place? I would love to do other outings there in the future if everyone agrees!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
AnthonyF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vida Lounge was ok, although they could've opened the bar below so we don't have to go up just to get a drink. I find Vida a lot like El Rancho (although El Rancho's floor is a lot better). Smile
KT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Anthony that Vida is pretty close to El Rancho in terms of size and the 2 floors. If it was a choice between Vida and El Rancho, I'd personally pick El Rancho. In the beginning it was pretty crowded, though I think near the end, people started filtering out, which gave us more room to dance. The heat was some what bearable, if you dance near a fan, it's not that bad.

The variety of music was good, it was a good mix of everything. I think they deserve credit for that. I don't like going to clubs where they play 1 type of music for long periods of time

The floor was the biggest issue for me. It was sticky on both floors, downstairs slightly better than upstairs. I tripped over the "drain holes" a couple of times downstairs. So, I relocated upstairs, the floor was still sticky, but I didn't realize the bigger problem until I took my shoes off. There was paint all over the bottom of my slippers, and clumps of paint embedded into the seude, which basically left dents in my soles. I haven't yet figure out a way to scrub the paint off without ruining my shoes... (anyone got any suggestions). Maybe it's time for new shoes! Confused
lindiloo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just put it this way...my friends and I walked out of the venue saying, "Never again."

We made the best of it, but the floors were the worst I've ever danced on; I almost took a spill tripping on the drain too! Sad Floors too sticky and the atmosphere wasn't all that great either.

There are better venues out there...
Sonnislav

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't been to many salsa clubs so won't comment on how they compare but PlazaFlamingo on Halloween was really nice Laughing

anyways I think for the beginner's lessons you need to have it set up with a wireless mike on the instructor and if possible a second pair of helpers/instructors at the other end of the room as demonstrators ... was at the back for the lessons then went to the front because I couldn't see or hear the instructions...
michel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since everybody is compareing to el-rancho , i will too:
el racho:
better d.j. (d.j. @ vida never stopped the salsa until 11:30 when i came up to him and asked him if that was all he had and then he started strings of bachata & merengue which i thought was too long too).
better floor,
better parking, (i got a $30 ticket last night).
better air circulation system.
bettr club lighting (vida had club lights but did not use them).
crowed. (i personally like it better when there is a mix of school attendees & latio club goers, they add a variety of styles & moves).

again, i will say though, the helpers were great, great great !!!
David

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say it was as bad or if not worst than U Can Dance Lounge. The floor in the basement was the worst, it started getting slippery (Either ppl were spilling drinks, or it was everyone's sweat). What was with the 30-45 minutes straight of bachata/merengue, would of been nice if it was spread out throughout the night rather than one large chunk.

So I'd have to agree with lindiloo, never again
lindiloo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michel wrote:
...parking, (i got a $30 ticket last night)

I got a $30 ticket too michel!
AnthonyF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lindiloo wrote:
michel wrote:
...parking, (i got a $30 ticket last night)

I got a $30 ticket too michel!

Yikes... where did you guys park? Confused
Sharon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Feedback Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback everyone. A few things everyone should note:

1) This shouldn't be a comparison of El Rancho because El Rancho is only available on Sundays or Thursdays for us. If you have to compare, please compare to Plaza Flamingo or Acrobat which are the only places that will take a group as large as ours (200+ people) on a Saturday evening. We know Acrobat has a limit of 145 and that caused problems last time. We don't want to be going every two weeks to Plaza, as fun as it is for us. This is why we try different venues.
2) Parking - there was lots of free parking and metered parking around, just like Plaza or El Rancho. Getting a parking ticket is due to parking in the wrong area, which can happen anywhere. So I don't know if that should count
3) Floors - Plaza floors are just as bad, if not worse. Acrobat and E Rancho definitely have better floors but again there are problems with those venues for us as stated above
4) Heat - Acrobat is even hotter. At least there were fans around.
5) Music - all of the people I spoke to LOVED the music. My opinion was it was better than any place I have been to. If you want bachata or merengue, just ask. I specifically told them to play mostly salsa because that is what the students want but you can request what you like.

I think maybe there is an unrealistic expectation that there is an abundance of places available for us. That is not the case. Venues have to be around downtown/midtown - subway line if possible. They have to play mostly salsa. They have to be in nice areas. They have to accomodate 200+ people. They have to have a licensed bar. They have to have air conditioning and non-carpeted floors. They have to be available on a Saturday night. I have been searching for new venues for months and have contacted most of the clubs and event halls in downtown Toronto with no luck. I have written many times that I am open to suggestions but have yet to get a contact to a good place.

We put a lot of time and effort in our outings. The feedback last night was very positive overall. Most people I spoke to enjoyed the change and would go back for another outing. Hopefully you understand our dilemma for outing space and can a) contribue to finding new venues b) work with us to make sure our current venues are as fun as possible. Please remember the company receives no profits from these outings - the small money collected goes to helper recognition.

Thanks for understanding.
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
AnthonyF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hey guys, I didn't mean to make this a vida lounge/el rancho comparison thread (my bad Shocked ). Vida Lounge just reminded me of how much similar it is to Rancho (granted it was my first time at Vida Lounge)... Embarassed I'd dance anywhere as long as I've got a partner and salsa music..... Smile
KT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharon, I think I can speak for everyone to say that we are all grateful that you put such effort into arranging these outings for us. We really appreciate it!

I think most of us will agree that we will go wherever our salsa friends will be, and wherever salsa music will be playing. To be fair, there are definately certain things that we should take responsibility for (ie. parking tickets, selection of music - as it was by request). But, there are also things the venue should be responsible for (ie. heat, floors, opening the bar downstairs). If this is a place we will host future outings at, maybe it's worth bringing those things to the owner's attention so it can be improved for our future outings.
michel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharon, i voiced my opinion because you were asking.
this does not reflect on you. i truly appreciate the difficulties in finding suitable locations.
i will continue and go to the school outing regardless of how much i like or dislike the venue. it is not the venue that makes me come out. it is the school & the people.
SalsaMan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Loved It! Reply with quote

I don't know what you guys are talking about!

- Music was AWESOME! Best DJ yet

- Learn to read parking signs people so you don't get a ticket! I had no problem.

- The lineup was also very short in comparison to Acrobat - I had no problems getting in, getting my coat checked and dancing! The exit was also very smooth. I really like the staff there compared to Acrobat.

- I liked the two floors and the different vibe you get from going from one to the other

- I club lesson was also VERY COOL - one of my favourites so far - great work Sharon in putting something unique together - I don't know how you do it every 2 weeks!

I'd go back there again - thanks for pulling it together Sharon! Can't wait for the next one!
lindiloo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outings as a whole are lots of fun - keep them coming...

The lesson was great, people are fun, and we really do appreciate the efforts in putting these events together- yes yes yes...

But I stand by my opinion that I am not fond of Vida Lounge - sorry if some of ya'll liked the venue more than I did, but I just wasn't feelin' it.

...but in no way am I bashing the quality of these outings as a whole, because I'm sure I speak for many when I say we love them and have a great time... Smile

FYI - I am not counting the parking ticket as a reason to diss the venue, it was a goof on my part that I parked a few feet shy of the free-parking zone...I am usually a very good reader Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: