Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anticipation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SKDanceLover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Anticipation Reply with quote

Girls,

How do you fight the evils of anticipation in salsa? It seems like no matter how hard I try (and usually the harder I try the worse it gets), I can't stop predicting what the leader is going to do! This results in me being slightly ahead of his steps, and also stiffening up at times as well as hesitating.

Help!
tosalsa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: re:Anticipation Reply with quote

SKDanceLover,

Tell your dance partner to show more lead or show him how to dance properly so next time he or she will be better.

Also, try dancing with different dancers instead of with same group of people all the time. Unless there is a good reason otherwise, etc.

Have you ever tried taking a follow and lead class lesson?
Valentin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SK is an advanced dancer, as far as I know Smile so the issue is not as simple as it seems. Also, as she described it, it's related exclusively to following, so the leader can't help her much in this matter, other than waiting for her to get back "on track". If the leader tries something else, he might confuse her more.

In other words, SK imagines (envisions) the next move while she's doing the current move. Then when she receives the signal from the leader for the next move, she is more or less puzzled because it's not the signal for the move she expected. The moment she realizes the difference is the moment of her hesitation.

Generally speaking, one way to stop imagination working is to focus on ... something else. In this case SK, I'd say listen more to the music/beat, focus on the styling, on keeping the connection with the leader.

But I'm curious, what makes you anticipate the next move, SK? Do you have a background in a dance style that usually requires individual routines?
Or, it's just the need of being prepared for the next move, and in time this need developed too much?
tosalsa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Moving Reply with quote

Valentin / SKDanceLover

I learn that styling or small kicks in between steps helps in dancing better with music and partner.

Have fun dancing the night away!
velina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SK,

I have had a similar challenge, especially when the lead is very light which makes me question myself if I am reading it correctly. My previous ballroom experience is adding to this challenge quite a lot because I was trained on repeating routines rather than free style. In addition, I like being in control and it is really hard not to be the decision-maker.

Overall, following entails getting out of one's comfort zone.
To help me avoid the anticipation I try to concentrate on the current move: I add styling while waiting for the lead on the next move. This prevents me from thinking about what is coming up next. Dancing with different dance partners, especially from different salsa schools is also very helpful. I also think that it is very important to adapt to the leader's rythm because it makes the follower more sensitive and responsive to the lead.

Cheers.

v.
SKDanceLover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys, that's great advice! I guess sometimes I just have a difficult time turning my brain off and letting the man take control. Kind of like Velina! And yes, I have concentrated more on choreography in the past, although not with a partner.

I find that I tend to anticipate a lot more when I get nervous, like when I'm dancing with someone really good and I'm afraid to screw up. I think another thing that induces anticipation is when I count the beats in my head, because instead of reading the leader's body language and signals I concentrate on counting and staying with the music instead of just letting myself go.

I guess I should just relax and focus more on the styling and rhythm like you all said. That's the thing I love about salsa, no matter how much you dance it there's always more to learn!

Sonya
velina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Indeed, it is so hard to give up control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: