Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So you think you can dance
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
velina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: So you think you can dance Reply with quote

Do you have favorites yet? Any routines that stood out? I know for sure that I did not like the salsa routine from last night...
Valentin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: my SYTYCD favs Reply with quote

So far, Chelsie H. + Mark are my favorites simply because they are in my top 3 for the first two weeks of the contest. To be fair, here are my top 3's for those weeks (if you follow the youtube links, click watch in high quality there):

Week 1.
. Chelsie H. + Mark: Contemporary - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBgfk7GEBzo
. Katee + Joshua: Hip Hop - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7LjP8uYaq0
. Susie + Marquis: Waltz - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdbacAlcvhk

Week 2.
. Chelsie H. + Mark: Tango - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1je_eXq4Nes
. Kourtni + Matt: Fox Trot - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm2265hSiKs
. Chelsea T. + Thayne : Jazz - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjtd_xW8ir8

Well, although I like to watch the show, there is something I'd reproach it for:
IMO all those 20 dancers selected initially are good enough to pursue a career as professional dancers, but the format of the show/contest is quite unfair to most of them. For example, it was clear that Susie+Marquis didn't do a great Salsa in the Week 2, but how do we know they wouldn't have done well in Cha-Cha or Jazz or others in the next weeks? They're already gone now! Crying or Very sad

A fair contest would allow all the participants to do their routines for each and every dance, accumulate points from judges for each routine, and in the end decide the winners based on the total points. I found that there was such a contest last year (however outside US/Canada) so I'm searching for info+videos - I'll write about it in a few days.
velina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree...I love Chelsie and Mark. What a great combination of beauty and weirdness Very Happy Mark is very good and so unique, and Chelsie is just gorgeous. I also like Joshua and Katee and Courtney and Gev, and Twitch...Actually, all dancers this season are very good.
And Nigel...what is with Nigel this season? He seems very hyper Very Happy
Sharon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: SYTUCD Reply with quote

Haha Nigel is beyond hyper - it is a little strange. He jumps out of his chair a lot too Smile

I love Will. He is fabulous and humble. I think he has oodles of talent. I also love Twitch and his VWaltz with Carington was so beautiful.

Man I love this show...I am an addict!!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
velina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Tonight's show Reply with quote

Wow...I am so loving this season...Tonight's show was great. There were four routines that really stood out for me: the two hip hop pieces, and the rumba...and the samba was just plain oustanding. I cannot believe how much Joshua changes when he dances.
What do you think about the show tonight? Who is heading home (besides from Joshua's dad Laughing )?

v.
Valentin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah! Last night's show was totally insane. I can't even choose my top 3 couples of the week Smile from so many great performances and awesome choreographies!
I don't know who would go home, I'm afraid it would be Comfort & Chris (Chris more likely, as he seemed soft when he should have had more agressive moves in that Jazz with African theme). Also it's possible that the public might not have liked the "weird" contemporary choreography that Kourtni & Matt did, even though their performance was very good.
I liked both of the hip-hop stories too, also the disco with Will doing Travolta's move Cool , and the super fun ending with Katee & Joshua on samba and Joshua's father showing up his "legacy" Very Happy
Sharon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you both. Velina - your top 4 were exactly my top 4! My favourite was the workaholic hip hop routine - how fabulous was that choreography! Followed by the second hip hop routine (the jail breakers) with Twitch and Carington. After that came the Samba and the Rumba - both very well done.

I agree that we may see Comfort and her partner going home or the Foxtrot couple which, in my opinion, was the worst routine.

But what a night! Velina, I can't wait to see the outcome with you tonight...any wagers???
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
velina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm...this is a tough one...I think that Comfort and Chris will be in the bottom three, but for some reason I have a feeling Comfort may get away with it yet again. From the girls I think we may lose Kourtni, although, I want Jessica to go because I want to see Will dance with a different partner.
velina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Elimination night Reply with quote

OK. I am really happy with the results last night. Chris was definitely my first choice to go. Chelsea, on the other hand, I still wanted to see for another few weeks. Her solo was very strong. I am still hoping that Jessica leaves soon. She is the one that I like the least out of the whole bunch.
I can't wait for next Wednesday...

v.
velina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Tonight's show Reply with quote

Well, I have to say that I am not greatly impressed by the routines tonight. I really liked Mia's and Mandy's, however, nothing else really stood out. I feel a little disappointed. Any particular moments that you liked?
I think Kourtni and Thayne should go home, although I would love to see Jessica pack her bags.
v.
Valentin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: It's so much more Reply with quote

Come on, Velina, don't tell me you didn't like Twitch and Kherington's paso doble-flamenco Shocked I think both of them were great from the beginning of the routine, inspite of judges' picking on Twitch afterwards.
Next, Mia's choreography "on-a-bed" topped all the other routines, that was crazy and Twitch and Kherington did well on it too.
My favorites (Chelsie and Mark) were good on both of their routines, so they remain my favorites Very Happy , then Katee and Joshua were good too especially on their first routine - I'll remember Katee's exagerated-aired-run and Joshua's remark "It's so much more than dancing..." for a long time.
Will and Jessica did a great (contemporary?) routine on Heart-Alone, I liked it...I don't remember their second routine.
Gev and Courtney did that nice "New York, New York" Broadway routine; also I don't remember their second dance.
I think Kourtni & Matt and Comfort & Thayne will be in the bottom 3.
Honestly I don't like Comfort - IMO Chelsea T. seemed to be a much more versatile and genuine dancer than Comfort, I'm sorry that she left last week.

But why do you girls (at least you and Sharon) dislike Jessica so much Smile ? She seems OK to me Wink
velina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valentin,
First, thank you for responding to my post.
Chelsie and Mark are also one of my favorites. Joshua and Katee’s contemporary was probably the best routine of the night. Twitch can do no wrong for me, but the Paso Doble was not as dramatic as I thought it should be (besides from Kherington’s mean face). I think it is a personal preference.
I agree with your comments on the individual performances, overall, however, the show did not feel as exciting as the one last week. I think I may not have been in the right mood for the show. Maybe Nigel’s crankiness had something to do with it Laughing
Anyhow, to answer your question about Jessica…personally, I do agree with what Napoleon said that she is bringing Will down, who I think is really good but has not had a chance to shine because he is dragging her body around the floor (or at least this is how their partnering appears to me). It is also possible that she looks much better dancing with a different partner. I don’t believe she is going home today, so we will have a chance to see how she does next week.
v.
velina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I forgot to mention...your subject line is quite appropriate...Joshua looked so sincere when he made this comment.
Valentin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he was sincere, he looked like still caught in the emotional shape of their dance. For those who missed it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq9HoyA6gf4

~
velina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Results night Reply with quote

Kourtni and Matt are heading home, which was not surprising at all. I think the biggest surprise for me was Courtney and Gev in the bottom three, but the competition is getting tougher so I need to get ready for seeing some of my favorites in the bottom three. Overall, the solos were good, but Gev stole the show for me.

Can't wait for next Wednesday.

v.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: