Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turning Tips for Women

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nina bambina

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Turning Tips for Women Reply with quote

Since we've already started a discussion for men on how to turn a lady properly, I thought I should start one on turning for women!

Tip #1:
After the man preps you on "1,2,3", always step forward with your left. Do not anticipate a turn and try to jump the gun by already starting your turn before he leads you. Often, this results in you stepping too much to the right, which then causes you to end up too far away from your partner after the turn.

Tip #2:
Keep your arms bent at a 90 degree angle and your hands flat, putting tension in your fingertips against his. If you grab his fingers, it will prevent you from turning with ease. Instead, keep the connection by putting a firm, equal amount of pressure against his fingertips.

Tip #3:
Turn with the rhythm of the music. If the music is slow, there's no need to turn really fast. If you do this, you'll find that you'll be early in finishing your turn and your stepping won't match your partner's. If necessary, count in your head to the beat of the music..."...5,6,7"

Tip #4:
Don't backlead. This is a common thing women do when they anticipate what they're partner will do. I confess that I'm often guilty of this one. Instead, try to learn to read what your partner is leading through his fingertip to fingertip connection with you. This should be the only means of communication on the dancefloor.

Tip #5:
Dance on the balls of your feet. This will make turning much easier as you swivel.

If anyone else has more tips to contribute, please share!
SHC

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you pretty much cover most of it, Nina ... The only thing I could think of adding is spotting your partner, even just for 1 turn, very important to get into a habit of it early on Smile

S
Salsasian

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Thumbs Reply with quote

One more tip is to resist the urge to use your thumbs to grasp for support. Practice turning on your own and make sure you are able to turn to the timing of music alone. You should not feel dependent upon a leader being there for you for balance. Things will only get worse when moving onto multiple-turns.

Dance like no one's watching.
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs are one of my biggest pet peeves!
Salsasian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Thumbs off Reply with quote

The thumb rule goes for the guys (followers) as well of course. Pay attention that they are not getting in the way. If you feel like you are getting stuck while turning your partner, pay particular attention to those thumbs and ensure you're maintaining a fingertip to fingertip connection.

Dance like no one's watching.
Tracie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Turning Tips for women Reply with quote

My two biggest tips for turns and spins (single or multiple) for women is:

(1) Watch your frame, especially your arms - ladies, your turning arm is your "handle" which your partner will use to guide you through your turns. If you keep connected to your turning arm and aware of its position, you will always know when to turn, for how many times and when the turns are over. For your free arm, keep it softly bent at the elbow and "tuck" it into your rib cage - keep it close to your frame and you won't risk hitting your partner and it's also a good reminder to keep your core engaged as you are spinning;

(2) Stay grounded and remember to breathe! When women are first learning how to do multiple spins there is a tendency to tense and rise up - this is mostly due to nerves associated with spinning many times. It's important to remember that your core should be strong and your turning arm should have good tension with your partner, but your knees and chest should be soft. When your partner sets up those multiple turns, don't tense up, rather, get grounded, set up that turning arm and get ready to go on a spinning ride! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: