Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tip for turning women

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Tip for turning women Reply with quote

During the practice session, lots of men have been asking me tips for how to properly turn a woman.

Aside from a good preparation (swinging the arm out and in in a J-shaped motion on the 1-2-3), the position of the man's hand is important to set up a turn. Most men hold their hand too high above the woman's head. The men should AIM to place their hand just infront of the woman's FOREHEAD.

Remember, the women should be maintaining a 90 degree angle with their arm, so if the men hold their hands too high during spins, the women will not be able to hold their proper frame.

Also, once the men push on '5' there should be little to NO pressure DURING the woman's spin. No "stirring the pot!" Otherwise you may cause the woman to lose her balance or hurt her shoulder.
Salsasian

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Men's stepping Reply with quote

An additional tip for leaders is to ensure that you are stepping back on the '5'. First off you should always be doing the basic to keep time, but secondly the follower needs to step forward on the 5 prior to swiveling back. Without stepping back on the '5,' you're basically in the followers way. This can cause follower to step to the side instead of in front and at the end of the turn this will result in the follower ending up in a different spot than where they started.

Timing of course is always important; however, it is important to give enough time for the follower to read the signal and execute the turn. If you've missed the "J," there is no point rushing and hurriedly brining up the hand on the "3" or the "4." Just do another basic and take your time to prep with the "J" on the next 1.

Dance like no one's watching.
blackout1999

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Turning Reply with quote

What's the deal, salsa people? I would to reinerate on what Kimberly and Alfred said about turning. Timing, stepping, and maintaining a 90 degree frame with the arms are so important when the leader attempts to turn his or her partner(There are ladies who are great leaders). Another point I would like to stress is a turn should be done fingertip to fingertip. No thumbs for guys and ladies. For the guys, thumbs on the ladies' hands can cause serious pain and sometimes injury for your partner. For the ladies, please don't make a tight grip on the guys' hand, especially when turning. Otherwise, he(or she) will not be able to feel the resistance when you turn. It can sometimes cut off the circulation to your partner's fingers or hands Sad The best advice I have is if you're turning for the first time whether you're a leader or follower is try it at a slow pace till you get the technique right. Then do it to music. I was one of those guys who use to cause pain to my partner so I know what all the beginners are going through. If you're not sure what you're doing, always ask one of the helpers or instructors and we'll be more than happy to help. Holla back at ya boy!
SHC

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another tip stolen from Caryl Smile. Leaders - try not to stretch your arm like a superman while spinning a women, also look at your partner so you know where you are spinning her.
velina

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic, guys. I don't have much to add as you have covered it all, however, I want to emphasize on one point that Alfred made above: giving late lead. For the leaders, if you do not execute a lead for a turn on time you may be better off missing the set of eghts and trying again on the next set. Compensating for the late lead by rushing the turn will most likely confuse your partner and throw off your rythm and timing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: