Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotating Complexity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Helpers' Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salsasian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Rotating Complexity Reply with quote

It is funny that as we master complex patterns, musicality, and body movement no matter where you go there is always some big confusion over rotation in class. We've all seen it, the instructor says "rotate" and there is either some small traffic jam somewhere, someone rotating in the wrong direction, or mass confusion.

Helpers, feel free to use your authority figure status to step in and help everyone out by directing any lost dancers to the next partner.

Alfred
SHC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Sometime students are just too concentrate on practicing the move or purely having too much fun to hear the "rotate" instruction, which cause some of the rotation confusion. I did that many times myself ... thank god for the helpers who used to help direct me LOL ..

Stella
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sentiments exactly Alfred, thanks for bringing it up.
I try to maximize ALL of the class time to squeeze in as much as I can, and sometimes when rotating partners takes too long, it can cut into the flow of teaching, as well as take time away from students who are patiently waiting.
The helpers do such a great job in facilitating already and taking that extra step would be EXTRA helpful. Especially since I've got a quiet voice. eep!
velina

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would add my two cents (or is it five?) to this great topicÖ.
I have experienced this confusion on many occasions and as Kimberlita mentioned, it often interrupts the instruction and distracts the students. I have also noticed in class that sometimes students are reluctant to rotate when they are partnered with someone they really enjoy dancing with. In this case, the next partner stands to the side and waits for a dance:-)
My observation is that if the rotation is more frequent students get used to it more quickly and it does not cause significant interruptions.
velina

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to follow up on this topic as I continue to experience challenges with it....Does anyone have any new tips that have been effective to keep the class rotation smooth and less disruptive?
Salsasian

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Rotation Tips Reply with quote

Velina a couple tips:

-Talk to your helpers about this to ensure they know how to help. Stick with a method (guys always rotate in a clockwise direction.)
-As the class partners up, be sure that nobody is standing in front of anybody and that for each couple it is very obvious who the next couple is beside them; if it is the very first class clearly explain what you expect when you say "Rotate!"
-At the start of every class on the first rotation, clearly instruct the ladies to stand still and for the guys to rotate along with pointing to the direction people should be headed. I do this every class.
-On the first rotation I immediately direct any leader who is unsure of who the next follower is
-It may seem disruptive to interrupt the class to ensure that the rotations work, but it feels like it is even more disruptive when it gets out of control

Any more tips?

Dance like no one's watching.
analytix

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a student I never felt any problem in rotating partner, well I never had to rotate actually. In my class it was always follower who rotated. If there are any non rotating couples I saw Sharon to put them in one side/corner, so that they canít distract other rotating couples. I think this a good approach. Usually the follower/leader who has finished dancing in one end of the room and has to move to the other end gets distracted. If you can guide him/her to the proper direction everybody will be in place.
velina

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I will try to put them in practice in class. I am also finding that the students are getting more used to the rotation and we are not taking too much time switching partners.
Cowboy Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Rotating Reply with quote

Maybe just remembering who's to your right and who's to your left, so that when you rotate, it's not like finding Waldo. I think if everyone can remember that, it makes the rotation easier to self manage. Helpers can help, but sometimes they don't remember who's to your right or left when shifting, because they could be walking around the class helping. That's why it's easier for everyone to try to be considerate and self manage the rotation as well. That's just my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Helpers' Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: