Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When Not Salsaing...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sara

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: When Not Salsaing... Reply with quote

Hey guys,
One of the coolest things about Toronto Dance Salsa (to me) is that you get the opportunity to meet people from all sorts of backgrounds. You come in contacts with Engineers, Doctors, Fire fighters, people in finance and business, teachers...etc etc...

I wonder, what do you guys do when you are not salsaing?

I find it fascinating that people can come from such a wide range of careers but all have salsa in common...the spirit of dance

Sara
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question, Sara!

When I'm not teaching salsa, I have a 9 to 5 job in the banking industry.

My biggest non-salsa hobby is food-related. I'm a HUGE foodie. I love to cook, bake, eat, try new restaurants and cuisines.

I'm also into fashion and film and I LOOOOOOOOVE animals. Especially my own dog Wink
blackout1999

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: My free time Reply with quote

What's the deal, salsa people? If I'm not with the salsa people, I have an 8-5 job in property management. Most of my free time is spent immersed in comic books(yes, I said it: COMIC BOOKS, from Marvel of course), or watching wrestling(yes, wrestling). I also go to the gym about 4-5 times a week. Recently, I've gone back to going to regular clubs(I was a clubhead before I was immersed in salsa). You'll be surprised how being in a dance club can help improve your timing in salsa. Holla back at ya boy!
Sara

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: In my non-salsa time... Reply with quote

Cool!
I guess I forgot to mention what I do when I am not salsaing...

I am a full time PhD student at the University of Toronto in Genetics. So I guess you could say I am a scientist-in-the-making. Yes, I am a geek and I admitt it!
When I am not shaking it salsaing or working at the lab "mixing potions", I like to go to the gym, I LOVE TO COOK new exciting dishes, and ofcourse love to play aqoustic guitar. As much as I would like to think I am good at all those things, I think it's a great thing that I am in sciences and salsa...I tend to be MUCH better at those!
Smile

Let me hear from the rest of ya!

Salsa on y'all!
Sara
Salsasian

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Outside of Salsa Reply with quote

What a great discussion topic, I find it fascinating that people come from all walks of life and that many of us have actual day jobs outside of salsa.

For me, I'm an IT Manager for a global IT organization at a big-4 accounting firm. My hours stretch way beyond 9-5 and I travel quite a bit. My love of salsa actually began while I was on assignment in the fine city of Amsterdam for almost three years.

Outside of work and salsa, I enjoy landscape and still-life photography, scuba diving, travel, relaxing at the spa, wine appreciation, and cooking. I strive to be a true foodie, and love eating whether it be an expensive Michelin star experience, or tasty local grub from a street vendor - it's all good.

Dance like no one's watching.
Sabir

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Salsa and genetics? Reply with quote

Interesting topic.

I work as software developer so when not working and not in salsa club (though I don’t dance a lot) then if I am home then in front of tv or my computer; when outside then movies, gym, tennis, badminton, volleyball or anything that keeps me busy.

I am surprised and impress by your abilities of handling science and salsa at the same time.
A question for you. What genes are responsible for being a good dancer? I think I am missing those… Sad
I won’t be surprised if you do some fantastic research and in 10-15 years you are injecting salsa genes into salsa lovers.

Sabir
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SKDanceLover

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys! I also think it's great that we're all so different but can come together to salsa and enjoy each other's company. It's so wonderful that we've all pursued different career paths and have all these other hobbies. Sara I think it's so cool that you're in genetics. I had no idea! I think that stuff is fascinating. It looks like almost everyone likes to cook and eat. Personally I love to paint, read, be outdoors and do other kinds of dance. Hope to hear more from all of you!
nina bambina

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Teacher by day, dancer by night Reply with quote

Great topic Sara! Salsa is a great medium in which to meet people outside your work life. I'm a teacher by day and a dancer by night! My students at school think its so cool that I dance salsa as a hobby. Last year, I was asked to teach a couple salsa lessons to a Grade 10 Spanish class and they loved it! Even the boys got really into it. I wish they would introduce more dancing into the school curriculum Smile
Sara

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: GREAT RESPONSE! Reply with quote

Hey Guys!
I am so glad that you all thought this was an interesting topic. I am totally fascinated by it!
I had no idea, for example, that Nina was a teacher! That explains why you are so good at teaching dance! It all makes sense! Smile

As for "injecting dance genes" , I am afraid we have a long way to go to get there! I will definitely inform you though, should such a gene exist. Generally, it's a whole lot of hard work, practice and FUN and I don't thinks there are genes for any of those things...just determination. So, a piece of advice...don't give up! It's only up from here!!! You will be shining on the dance floor so people's jaws will drop very very soon!

Thanks for the comments guys and keep 'em coming!!!!

Sara
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: