Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with Pacing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SKDanceLover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Problem with Pacing Reply with quote

It was another late night at Babalu'u and on our way home I was telling a friend about my oh-so-busy salsa schedule. Almost every day I would be taking classes at various locations, going to practice sessions, or out to clubs. This is when my more experienced friend decided to lend me a piece of advice. He told me not to "get good too quickly" and to pace myself, or else I would burn out. I listened politely but in my head I was really thinking, "Me, get sick of dance? As if!"

Despite my positive outlook, a week later I found myself running out of steam. The truth is, no matter how much you love dance, even good things must be taken with measure. I think at some point everybody finds their niche, or ideal place in the salsa world. Whether it be taking one class per week, or going out once or twice every week, we each find a pattern that suits our individual lives, rate of learning and growth.

By learning the hard way (about a week of recovery), I finally realized that I am not a salsa dancing machine but alas, only human. And I still think that salsa should come with a warning label: HIGHLY ADDICTIVE.

So to all my fellow salsaholics, if you're out there, can you relate?
blackout1999

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: I was in the same situation Reply with quote

What's the deal, salsa people? I was in the same boat when I introduced myself to salsa in 2002 and when I reintroduced myself to salsa in 2006. I wanted to learn everything right away but found out it was a lot harder than I thought. Learning any type of dance is like learning how to walk before you run. Some learn faster than others but eventually you start to get better over time. The best advice I have is to never stop learning. Keep adding new stuff little be little and always challenge yourself but do it at a pace that is suitable for you so that you don't hurt or kill yourself. And yes, salsa does come with a warning label. Too bad I didn't read the label. Laughing Holla back at ya boy!
velina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree - salsa is very addictive. I also believe that it is a good idea to pace your learning experience and to fully enjoy each stage of it. It is guaranteed that the addiction will persist; however, trying to experience it all at once is going to make you burn out. It is all about balance and anticipation.
Salsasian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: The Many Phases Reply with quote

I've observed that there are two types of salsa addicts. Ones that have a steady constant interest, and the others that go through huge swings in interest level. No matter which, the good thing is the addiction is persistent.

I for one started out salsa slow, and then caught the addiction in a big way. I was taking two classes at once, helping out almost every night, and attending two our three parties a week. As I do have an active life outside of salsa including work, this was not sustainable for much longer than that. The good thing though is that through the years, it has never left me.

Dance like no one's watching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: