Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meet Your Helpers!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Helpers' Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Meet your helpers! Reply with quote

NAME: Linda

HELPER DAYS: Friday's at Adelaide Club

WHY I LOVE SALSA: It's my creative outlet! Once you get going, you never want to stop. Other dance styles (classes) I've taken in the past just didn't make me feel as "alive" as salsa does. The great thing about salsa is that it is so accessible to everyone - one lesson to learn the basics and you can work it on the dancefloor and have a blast with friends!

FAVORITE SHOE: my speedfactors - hands down!

Salsa that's slow and sexy - Thinking of You by Lenny Kravitz
    Salsa that's fast and hot - La Toalla by Tito Rodriguez & His Orchestra
    Merengue - (a) Suavemente by Elvis Crespo (b) De Colores by Los Toros Band
    Bachata - (a) Obsecion by Martin Lopez (b) Mata Esa Pena by El Gringo de la Bachata
    Reggaetton - Gasolina Remix by Papa A.P.

FAVORITE DANCE MOVIE/TV SHOW: old movie musicals; So You Think You Can Dance

FAVORITE SALSA MOMENTS: when a partner and I stop worrying about "looking good" and get playful by adding humour and adding moves that inspire us at that exact moment - even if it's deemed as silly.

CURRENT FAVORITE DANCE VENUE: sunday socials at Dovercourt House; Acrobat; Alleycatz on Mondays; TDS outings!; salsa practice at trinity church too

SALSA GOAL: keep working those shines, styling and musicality and perhaps perform in a group number one day

RECENTLY DISCOVERED KILLER COMBO: salsa followed by karaoke with a group of friends...I know, sounds strange, but it's fun times...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: New helpers Reply with quote

I love the new helpers! So much energy and enthusiasm! Good work everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! The helpers this semester have a ton of energy and enthusiasm. Thanks guys!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Helper profile Reply with quote

NAME: Anna-Marie

BEGAN SALSA: March 2006

HELPER DAYS: Tuesday at Adelaide Club

WHY I LOVE SALSA: It beats jogging and free-weights Wink I love being challenged with new moves! Dancing is just so much darn fun!

FAVORITE SHOE: My most comfortable are the Bloch jazz slipper, but I want what Linda's got. My sexiest shoes are my SoulDancerUSA gold & bling 2-3/4 heels... but I rarely wear them because they're feet-killers. I have 5 pairs of shoes but I almost only wear the slippers -- easier in winter.

CURRENT FAVORITE SALSA SONGS: The Lionel Richie "Lady" remix!!!

FAVORITE DANCE MOVIE/TV SHOW: Dirty Dancing... although I want to see Stomp The Yard.

FAVORITE SALSA MOMENTS: When a partner makes me feel like a great dancer.

CURRENT FAVORITE DANCE VENUE: Sunday socials at Dovercourt House (my favourite floor in the city so far); Alleycatz on Mondays

SALSA GOAL: To actually be able to do those darn double turns partnerless, without paddling or falling sideways Embarassed

RECENTLY DISCOVERED KILLER COMBO: Salsa in Cuba!!! (Okay we haven't actually done it yet, but 23 days and counting down!)
Smile AM
nina bambina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Nina

Began Salsa: January 2006

Current Level: Level 6+

Helper Days: Wednesdays 7:15-9:15 (Adelaide Club)

Why I Chose Toronto Dance Salsa:
1) It was on the subway line and I wouldn't have to walk outside to get to the studio
2) Sharon's classes were so much fun and well organized
3) The outings every other week, gave me incentive to practice outside of class

Favourite Shoe: Satin Bronze Ladies Sandals with 2.5" heel

Favourite Club: Babaluu's on Tuesdays and Wednesdays

Favourite Drink at a Club: Cranberry juice, pineapple juice, and water

Favourite Dance TV Show: So You Think You Can Dance (I love this show!)

Favourite Dance Moment: When you find someone you really connect with on the dancefloor and you feel like you're having the time of your life Smile

Salsa Goal: To be able to style more while dancing and feel confident doing shines

Other Interests: I'm a travel addict. I love adventure and exploring the world over. Learning about different cultures, trying new foods, and meeting new people is a passion of mine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Manuel
Began Salsa: with TDS in April '06 but grew up with the music...I am latino after all.
Current Level: 5+

Why I chose TDS: Classes are extremely well organized and appropriately build up your fundamentals. The outings every other week were definitely a great way for someone who was new to the city to become immersed in Toronto's salsa scene.

Why I love salsa: Salsa is a rhythm that is just so full of joy. Upbeat, fun and challenging. If your feet don't start tapping at the sound of the brass and percussion, then there might just be something wrong with you...just kidding, but it really is engaging. Salsa, along with the other popular latin sounds like merengue and bachata, is just such a great expression of the latin is meant to be celebrated, through the good times and the bad times. That is what I feel salsa represents and is why I love it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: My profile Reply with quote

Name: Tyrone

Current Level: 5(still waiting for level 6), currently learning on2

Helper days: Mondays and Tuesdays at Adelaide club

Salsa dancing since: April 2002

Intro to salsa: I was a clubhead for many years(15 years to be exact, hip-hop, rand b, reggae, house) and one of my friends who was also a clubhead took me to a salsa club in Ottawa and I was hooked but it wasn't because of the dancing(mainly the women). I learned Bachata first then I started learning the Cuban style and did Cuban for 2 years. I dropped out of the salsa scene in 2004.

How I got into TDS: I decided to go to Acrobat in April 2006 and found out after 2 dances that I really sucked. So I went online and came across TDS. I started in the summer of 2006 and became a helper in January or March of 2007. It's been a great experience since then.

Favourite song: anything Oscar De Leon

Favourite moment in salsa: My first performance at Revival Lounge on December 2007.

Why TDS: It's a fun and relaxed atmosphere. I always look forward to class or an outing.

Goal: To learn more turn patterns and combinations. Also to keep working on timing and well as connection with your partner. Definitely styling, more shines, and to start learning how to follow.
You knooow!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

name: jenn

level: 5

helper sched:
a regular full-fledged sunday helper

how i discovered salsa:
was never a regular club goer, i find it boring. i never get to discover the thrill that some people find just dancing and grinding by your lonesome with a drink in hand. one night me and a friend wanted a night out dancing so we googled some "dancing" clubs and stumbled on lula lounge. now, this is the kind of dancing i like!

how i discovered tds:

was looking specifically for salsa schools that have dance socials or outings for their students. tds was the only school i found that has outings every other week.

started salsa dancing:
since summer of '06, started official salsa lessons fall of '06

fave salsa shoes:
thank the heavens for bloch speed factor!!

fave drink at salsa clubs:
water!! although it's almost the same freakin' price as a regular cosmo!

fave thing to do after salsa dancing:

eat, eat, and more eat! and for some reason we always end up at some sushi place!

fave club:
so far, acrobat

pet peeve:
bachata with strangers, that just freaks me right out!

if you happen to see me on the dance floor:
darn it, don't be shy, just ask me to dance! (if i say no, that's because it's bachata and you're a stranger, dance salsa with me first lol !! )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Velina
Began Salsa: January 2007
Favorite Shoe: Freed of London (
Favorite Club: Acrobat (Fridays)
Favorite Drink: Salsa is intoxicating enough. Water, please!
Best Thing To Do After Class: No surprise here: Sushi
Favorite Dance TV Show: So You Think You Can Dance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Helpers' Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: