Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eye Contact

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Eye Contact Reply with quote

Does anyone else find it difficult to keep eye contact? I notice some partners have no eye contact, some have a little and some just have it on constantly. I also sometimes find myself shying away from eye contact. Anyone else ever get lost by gazing into eyes?
nina bambina

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Eye Contact Reply with quote

I too, shy away from eye contact, especially when I'm dancing with someone I don't know very well. But eye contact is so important to maintain in salsa that I've tried to remind myself to keep my gaze on my partner. Salsa is supposed to be a hot and sultry dance...you should look as though you're entranced by your partner. But if you're shy, like me, try keeping eye contact for half the dance and smile Smile Eventually, it will become habit.
SHC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nina totally.

I think eye contact is important to keep dance partner connected but having it on constantly is just way too creepy in my opinion. Having no eye contact at all is just unacceptable, that show no interests!!! I think there has to be a balance, guys often have to watch out for the path when they are doing a cross-body lead for example, they can't possibly be keeping eye contact and try to watch out for a "safe path". For women though, we should definitely try to keep some sort of eye contact while doing a spin. It is difficult to keep eye contact with a stranger, but as Nina said at least keep the smile, that shows you are having fun dancing with your partner Laughing . One thing I do sometime when I have difficultly keeping eye contact is to at least look at their direction but look pass them somehow, say look at their forehead, ear, etc. and of course keep the smile.

Stella
SalsaTO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Eye Contact Reply with quote

I make eye contact with my partner when I ask her to dance.

Once on the floor, I catch her eye occasionally, but then I'm looking for safe places to place her when moving. I'm watching the crowd, especially in a crowded venue. The more experienced partners are also watching the crowd, looking over my shoulder to keep us from being run down. A few times they have pulled me up short for that very reason. Yess!

I have her in the corner of my eye as I watch for reactions to moves she may like or not like. I am very aware of my partner, but I am not gazing steadily into her. I let the dance make the 'conversation.' If she likes something I do a little more of it. Usually they smile and are very enthusiastic when moving.

If there is something she doesn't like and I usuallly see it in her expression or in her movement, I drop that particular move.

But unless you are dancing with your lover, prolonged deep eye contact is unsettling.
velina

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree with you. Eye contact is so important and so difficult to maintain sometimes. I find that if I start losing balance I tend to look my partner in the eyes more often, it helps me coordinate my moves better. I do think that I have freaked out a few guys by staring at them too much Very Happy
Salsasian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Part of connecting Reply with quote

The eyes are an essential part of "connecting" with your partner. You can be playful, passionate, gentle and strong all through the eyes. The eyes are also an important aspect of styling. Difficulty with connecting with the eyes could be shyness, not feeling confident, trying not to scare away your partner, or just forgetting.

Perhaps a way to put it all into perspective is to think about how much eye contact you'd make with a person if you were having a conversation with them. You certainly wouldn't stare; however, if you are always looking away it might be a sign of boredom or that you are not interested.

Dance like no one's watching.
velina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, Alfred. You love it when I stare Laughing
Salsasian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: lovin it Reply with quote

LOL...yes Velina i luv it as much as you luv it when I've got that deer in the headlights "what pattern was I in the middle of?" look.

Dance like no one's watching.
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing worst than looking bored while you're dancing or seeing that you're partner is watching other people. Eye contact and smiling is really important during a dance!
latinsalsa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: eye contact Reply with quote

Eye contact is okay once in while. But when someone is staring at me 100% of the time during a song directly into my eyes, it tends to freak me out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: