Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Salsero's Soundtrack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Music and Shoes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: A Salsero's Soundtrack Reply with quote

I am so excited to Manuel Alvarez has taken on the Salsa in Review Blog on our website and has transformed it to "A Salsero's Soundtrack" chock full of information and Latin Music.

Take a look at his first two blogs....

http://www.torontodancesalsa.ca/Salsa-In-Review/

What I love about this blog is that Manuel is going to have Musical Wars where he takes two songs and compares them in a battle. So if you have songs that you want Manuel to review, please comment on his blog or you can also write in the forums you requests.

Looking forward to reading the blog, Manuel!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
Mannysmo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks, Sharon. I'm excited to be doing this and hope that all salseros and salseras enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it.

Manuel
Salsasian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Music battles Reply with quote

Hi Manuel,

I think it would be great to talk a bit about the different popular styles of salsa and compare the danceability of each. Often beginners are so busy learning steps that they forget it is all about the music. For example, it is odd sometimes to see guys leading some complex set of patterns throughout a slow romantica song when it doesn't really go with the music. Perhaps a description of the styles and some examples so that we can go listen to these in order to better recognize would be good. Then you could stir up some controversy by battling out traditional cuban versus some crazy new salsaton mix. Watch the new school versus new school crowd go nuts.

Alfred
Mannysmo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Good suggestion Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, Alfred. That is something I've been thinking about because you're right, sometimes people get so caught up with the fancy tricks that they just throw them in without really thinking if they even fit with the music. I will definitely follow up on that.

Manuel
nina bambina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: New Salsa in Review! Reply with quote

Hi Manuel!

Thanks for taking over our blog! I'm so happy to see that you're translating the salsa songs into english. I always wondered what some of the songs were about. Now I'll know! Alfred tells me some of these salsa songs translate into some really bizarre stuff. In fact, there's supposed to be one about vegetables and another about a cross dresser...let's see if you can pick out some funny ones!
latinsalsa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: salsa song lyrics Reply with quote

Of course, very few people would listen to traditional Cuban music in a nightclub, not even Cubans, since there is so much modern music. A lot of people don't know modern Cuban music, especially a lot of Latin American people, (Celia Cruz and Gloria Estafan don't count). There is more to Cuban music than the Buena Vista Social Club.

If you are a fan of the Spanish language, especially in all its complexity to express feeling and the human experience, you have to be a fan of modern Cuban music (Kilmax, Los Van Van, Charanga Habanera, Manolito Simonet, Adalberto Alvarez, etc.) You get tired of the simple minded lyrics of most salsa songs, full of : te quiero, yo te amo, no puedo vivir sin ti, si tu te vas, y me muero besarte, no me dejes por favor, no puedo olvidarla, por uno solo beso, noches llenas de (amor, pasion, etc.), me haces llorar, no me hagas llorar, el beso de tu boca, te juro con mi alma, con mucha tristeza, si te vas, te vas y regresaras, en tu corazon, con todo mi corazon, un amor de corazon, etc.

There, I have described 90 % of the songs that they play at Babalus. I am as romantic as the next girl, but what happened to imagination, vocabulary, and literacy beyond the prepa.

What happened to songs about everyday life and what is happening right now. Real people, real situations.

Check this out. EL TEMBA BY CHARANGA HABANERA

juntos: y se supone que ya yo no estoy
preparado para ciertas cosas
y caminando por la vida voy
creyendo que todo es color de rosas

qué es eso de matrimonio
yo solamente puedo ser tu novio...tu novio...tu novio

Together: Supposedly, I am no longer preparing for
certain things and walking through life believing
everthing is the color of roses.

What is this about marriage?
I just only want to be your boyfriend ... your boyfriend... your boyfriend

LOCOS POR MI HABANA BY MANOLITO SIMONET Y SU TRABUCO

Ricardo: Yo digo: si tú estás loco búscate un psicólogo
Coro: Porque en La Habana hay una pila ‘e locos

Richard: I say: If you are crazy, look for a psychologist.
Chorus: Because in Havana, there are a lot of crazy people.

SENORA BY THE CHARANGA HABANERA

Tirso: ay, señorita

coro: no! señora

Tirso: discúlpenme se me olvida
ay, no se desepere
cójala con calma

coro: ¿qué cosa?

Tirso: eh! la vida

Tirso: oh, young lady?

Chorus: No ! Ma'am

Tirso: Sorry, I forgot.
Just don't get anxious.
Take it easy.

Chorus: Take what easy?

Tirso: Well, life.
Salsasian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: El Gran Varon - Willie Colon Reply with quote

I agree, I enjoy plenty of the romatica songs; however, it does get tiring hearing the same words of love, corazon, amour, etc... Maybe some kind soul would translate "El Gran Varon" by Willie Colon. Tell us all about the sad plight of Simon.

Hear the song and if you don't know spanish you might confuse this for a love song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeTN4wT2--U

Dance like no one's watching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Music and Shoes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: