Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you make your basics look "grounded?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nina bambina

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: How do you make your basics look "grounded?" Reply with quote

For all those beginners and even intermediate dancers out there, have you ever seen yourself dancing either in the mirror or on video and wondered..."Hmmm...how come something doesn't look right?" This thought came into my mind after about a year of learning salsa and seeing myself dance on video. The best way to describe it would be that it seemed I was dancing "too high." And I suspect its because of the way I place my feet. Does anyone else have this problem?

Advanced dancers would explain that I'm not "grounded." But how do I make myself "grounded?" Some tips that I've gotten since then include:
- keep your core tight (as in tighten your abs) as you dance
- dance on the balls of your feet but place them as if you're squashing something underneath your feet
- keep knees bent

Looking grounded can drastically (and positively) change the way you look when you dance. It may even improve the way you walk.

Would anyone else like to share their advice?
latinsalsa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: grounded Reply with quote

In Cuba,
They really emphasize putting down your heels when you dance, so you can change your weight better and move your hips. It looks different, because it looks like you are walking when you are dancing. A lot of times, Cubans dance outside on concrete, so this style is obviously better for that. But the girls look good dancing on concrete or cement with jeans and running shoes.

For grounding in Cuba, sometimes they make you take off your shoes when you learn the basic steps. They want you to be balanced all time. And also I think it has something to do with Afro-Cuban religious thing where you have to have a connection with Mother Earth or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: