Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Partner Connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Partner Connection Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Itís so strange, I canít explain it. Finishing lvl2 salsa now, danced with many partners. By no means am I a great salsa dancer, but with some dance partners things just click. And they click right away. They donít have to be necessarily great dancers themselves, but it just works out. Is that dance partner chemistry? The dance which is relaxed, unison, yet full of energy. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Cheers,
rev
Salsa-in-review

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Dancing nirvana Reply with quote

I think a lot of us understand what you're talking about Rev. It is like a salsa nirvana when you just click with another dancer. There are so many things that need to happen to get things to click, but it feels fantastic when it does. I think with solid timing from both partner, this definitely helps. I find that sometimes even if one dancer is slightly off time or inconsistent it can lead to a bit of a disconnect in the leading and following. For example, if the leader is slightly behind or the follower is slightly ahead of the beat, the follower will get signals for turns and moves a bit too late.

I feel the same that you can get that instant click with any level of dancer.
velina

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Partner connection Reply with quote

I love dancing with different partners. Each one of them brings something unique to the dance that makes it exciting. And then, there are those few dancers that I can spend an entire night dancing with. This does not mean that they are better than the rest. When I think about what makes dancing with them so special, the first thing that comes to mind is communication. I feel comfortable with the lead which makes me very responsive to my partnerís body movement, rhythm, timing, and style overall. And then, as you said, it just clicks. The dancing becomes smooth and beautiful and the chemistry comes about because the partners clearly express via their body language and facial expressions that they enjoy dancing with each other.
KT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can all relate to that feeling when you have that amazing chemistry with a partner. Connection with your partner is such an important concept, yet so difficult to describe, as each person connect on a different level. For some, timing is important, for others, it's the fun factor, or complicated moves, or sensuality. The best way "connection" was explained to me is when 2 people hear the music the same way. Which means they are dancing at the same pace, they want to accent certain beats the same way you would, they dance sensually to parts of the song the same way you would... thus creating this "2 body as 1" effect on the dance floor.

I think that chemistry and connection is a very personal thing, and while 1 person may connect very well with you, but that same person may not connect so well with another person. When you find that person you connect with, it's such a wonderful feeling... it's like the whole dance floor is yours and no one else is dancing around you.
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post! Timing totally has a lot to do with it, and KT had a good point in saying that when both partners are feeling the music the same way, it creates good dance chemistry.
To have a great dance with a partner doesn't necessarily mean that they have to be an advanced dancer, but they must have a good sense of fun and not be afraid to get creative on the dancefloor!
blackout1999

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Sure you right! Reply with quote

What's the deal, salsa people? I do agree that you and your partner have to feel the music in order to have good chemistry and partner connection on the dance floor. I have still have a few kinks to iron out and I'm trying new stuff at least every week. For all the new people, it's good to dance with someone more experienced than yourself especially the helpers and instructors. You'll be surprised how much you learn in one or two dances. Holla back at ya boy!
rev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, interesting to see the personal interpretations of that special connection or chemistry. Timing seems to be repeated throughout the responses to have two people move as one. Another thing which comes to my mind is trust. Being a guy, the girl needs to trust the guys lead, if the lead is second guessed or opposed the gracefulness and ease of the dance disappears.
Salsa-in-review

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Confidence Reply with quote

I think that feeling it "trust" is gained by feeling that the lead is confident and sure of their moves. Followers require a confident lead who leads a move with certainty and follows through smoothly throughout the move. Any hesitation or doubt can be felt by the follower and can be interpreted many ways. For example, a double turn with the slightest hesitation between the first and second turns could be misinterpreted as a sign to do only a quick single turn.

Alfred
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: