Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spinning...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lindiloo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Spinning... Reply with quote

Ok, so in class tonight I really noticed that I tend to overspin...I just want to keep going and going and I have so much momentum on the double that I was doing 2 1/2.

How can I stop this bad habit of overspinning? How do I stop myself? (The boys didn't buy my excuse that my hair was in my eyes haha)

Anyone with tips?

thanks,
Linda
Salsa-in-review

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Spotting Reply with quote

For both overspinning and underspinning, it is spotting that deserves the most attention. It is difficult to overspin if you are spotting on time. With your face and eyes on your partner at the end, it is difficult for your body to keep on going. So first off think about your spotting as you dance. If you are ending a multiple turn with your eyes focussed away from your partner, then your body is just following your eyes. If you find that you are spotting properly but still find that you need to "apply the breaks" with your trailing foot, then perhaps there really is too much momentum, and if you are spinning yourself with such a great force that you are unable to control your spin, then you need to re-train your body to use less force. It is deceiving to watch dancers spinning like a top and can be perceived that a dancer is launching themselves with an enormous force to propel them into multiple turns.

You can practice your spotting as well by building your spins. Prepare for a spin, but stop at a half turn. Then build it up by a full-turn, then a turn and a half, and then a double-turn. While you are building this up, you should be able to stop yourself depending on where you are spotting.

Have fun practicing,
Alfred
lindiloo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alfred,

I think my problem is that I'm putting to much momentum - anticipating that I need more energy than I really do...

...guess I better get practicing some more! Thanks for the feedback.

~ Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: