Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salsa vs Bachata beat distinction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Salsa vs Bachata beat distinction Reply with quote

Holla!

Got a hold of a hole munch of salsa, merengue, and bachata music. Merengue is a 2 step dance. But salsa and bachata seem to be a 8 beat dance to me. Is it just the tempo which distinguishes bachata from salas?

For example if anyone knows Daniel Martinez - La Pasion Du Tes Noches, would that be a bachata song?

Cheers,
Rev
KT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post. I've never thought of comparing the 2 types of dance as the feeling of it and the sounds of the music is so different, but here are my thoughts...

Well for me, I've never had trouble distinguishing between the 2 types of music just because salsa is usually faster and more up beat, whereas bachata is slower and more sensual. You can also (sometimes, but not always) tell by the types of instruments used in the music, salsa usually uses louder and bolder instruments like trumpets, the clave, trombone, etc., and bachata uses softer instruments like the guitar, which gives it that twiney feel.

Also, you can argue that salsa is an 8 beat dance, whereas bachata is 4 beat. I've seen it taught by different instructors, and some taught it as 8 beat and some taught it as 4. It is 8 beats in the sense that if you travel one way for 4 counts, you have to go back the other way for 4 counts, to complete a set of 8 counts. However, bachata is different than salsa in a sense that turn patterns can happen at any time after the tap and it doesn't matter whether you turn the first 4 counts or the last 4 counts (out of 8 ) or turn for 8 counts continuously. Therefore, it can be argued that bachata is counted by sets of 4 counts. Salsa is danced in sets of 8 counts because turn patterns can only happen at very specific counts, for example, ladies cannot do a right turn on the first count because our foot is stepping back instead of forward.
rev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Katie,

I am always learning something new about dance from the perspective of others. So I have to watch out for the smoother sounds of the music and a much slower tempo. Hmmm. Curious how would Salsa look and feel when danced to a slow beat, such as that of the Bachata. Would it work?

Cheers,
rev
KT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't hurt to try! Wink

Actually, when I first started dancing, I used to do the salsa steps to just about any kinda music they played in the club, be it merengue, bachata, cha cha cha, reaggatton... I didn't learn the difference between the different dances until somewhere further down the line, but it was ok... I had a blast salsa-ing to merengue! I think all this technicality of dancing is secondary to having a good time and having fun on the dance floor!

Happy Dancing Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: