Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Performing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Helpers' Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Performing Reply with quote

Hi helpers,

I was wondering if you have been in a performance class if you would share some of your experience with those who haven't done it before. Maybe you'll inspire or encourage others to get out there and show their stuff.

What are the practices like?
Learning choreography?
Stage fright?
Costumes?
Finding a partner?

What was it all like?
blackout1999

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Like WHOA! Reply with quote

What's the deal, salsa people? This was the first time I have ever performed a salsa routine in front of 500 people. At first, a lot of us didn't think we could pull it off in such a short timespan and a lot of us didn't like the costumes at first. In the end, I think we all put our best foot forward and did the damn thing. I do have to admit I was really nervous at first when I was paired up with Nina because I'd only danced with her once but with all those extra practices we had with myself, Velina, Nina and Alfred, I was starting to get more psycked for this performance. By the way, Nina is an excellent partner to dance with. For me, it was extremely nerve-wracking to say the least. But when it came down to crunch time, I was nervous as hell but I was at the very least determined to pull it off. All I can say is we did bring the house down and when it was over, I was more thrilled to have performed in front of so many people. It was an even bigger thrill to receive compliments about it. Would I do it again, you ask? Most definitely. The whole experience for me was like WHOA!(that's a good thing). Now I looking forward to next year, especially if there is going to be another TDS competition. Holla back at ya boy!
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! THanks for sharing, Tyrone.
I'm personally shy when it comes to performing. Maybe one day I'll be able to build up the courage to get out there!
But after talking to a number of people who are in performance groups, many of them started out shy, but after a lot of practice and just getting out there and doing it, they have learned to overcome these fears.
It'd be a great learning experience.
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the ladies? Don't be shy! Share your experiences about performing!
David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first performance that night as well, although it was with the other student group. I wasn't nervous at all (for the first time dancing infront of a large group with eyes all on you), I tend to not care lol when I dance infront of ppl I'm not close to (i.e. people who just know me via salsa). Although I did get a rush performing, I usually, more like never have that much body movement while I dance (I think?). It's also weird watching yourself dance, this is the first time seeing it (well rehearsals but that doesn't count).

The videos are all posted at:

http://www.ifreestyle.ca/gallery/index.php

You can see the other performances by other schools as well as some jazz&modern dance performances.
KT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The performance experience is something I think every dancer should experience at some point in their dancing journey... it teaches you so much more than you will ever learn through group classes and social dancing in the clubs.

It's an amazing team building experience and you really have to work closely with your partner as well as the rest of the dance team. Learning the choreography is challenging as well as exhilerating the same time, but when you see the final product, it is so rewarding. You learn about stage presence, posture, and how to stand out in a crowd, yet be syncronized with the rest of the group. I think all of us have discovered a new found confidence in ourselves after this performance class.

As difficult and scary the thought might be to perform in front of everyone, I'd say the hard work will definately pay off.

Hope to see y'all at Plaza Flamingo, Dec. 28th, to support the performance team!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Helpers' Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: