Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding your Centre

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Finding your Centre Reply with quote

At a recent girls night, our talk led to a salsa discussion (naturally). Nina brought up this point about finding her centre. Which means, she has discovered her natural body alignment so that she can do multiple spins without falling over and losing her balance.
I tested out many multiple spins last night at the practice session and discovered that I have NOT yet found my centre. I am still transferring weight onto my left foot during doubles and triples, even though it is very subtle. Nina was even down on the ground watching my feet as I spun.

Have YOU found your centre? If you have, maybe you can teach some tips and tricks on how to find it!
nina bambina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Tips on finding your "centre" Reply with quote

I found my centre about 2-3 months ago but I have to say that it took me since April 2007 of practice before my body naturally learned how to balance on its own. And once you've found your centre, you can spin not 3, not 4, but 6 or more spins really fast without ever feeling like you're going to lose balance! And let me tell you, its a wonderful feeling when you discover your body has found its centre!

In April, Caryl gave me a tip on how to start learning balance during multiple spins. At that point, I was spinning on my right foot but was still using my left to "peddle" because otherwise, I'd tip over. And when I peddled, I shifted my weight to the left foot momentarily to adjust my balance.

The tip Caryl gave me was to still "peddle" but instead of shifting all your weight to the left (even for a fraction of a second) when peddling, just tap the left without letting your body transfer weight off the right foot. Basically, this helps train your body to keep all the weight on the right foot while spinning. As you practice, your body will naturally find the perfect alignment on its own.

Hope this helps! And happy spinning!
Salsa Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow wish I could say I have found my centre. I know Sharon always makes us balance on our right foot so we don't put any weight on the left foot but it is so had not to tip the weight over to the left as you begin to peddle. I guess it is all practice. I like Sharon's exercise o start with quarter turns, into halfs, into 3 quarters, into full, etc. That helps when I practice. I think I am a bit lazy though....have to be more dilligent about it!
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tips Nina... Thanks for sharing! I think i have found my centre for the most part, but I don't know about 6 multiple spins! Only a few guys have attempted quadruples with me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: