Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very loud music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is the music too loud in some Salsa clubs?
Yes - and that is uncomfortable
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Yes - and I like that
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes - but I don't mind that
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
No - I haven't noticed that
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
No - the music is always at a comfortable level
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I simply don't care about that
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Valentin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Very loud music Reply with quote

This is what I've experienced quite often when I went to some Salsa clubs: after 2-3-4 hours spent inside, once I got out of the club I started hearing a continuous high pitch sound in my ears. The sensation of that sound was very annoying and it had persisted for hours.

As the cause of that annoying sound in my ears was obviously the very loud music in the club, I wondered if I'll ever get used to it. So I searched on the Internet by these words: "hearing loud music".

The results of my search are really worrying, as all the titles of the pages that I found contain expressions like "hearing loss" "damage of hearing", "deafness" and even a scary one: "loud noises linked to benign tumor".

From those pages I understood that getting used to very loud music means actually becoming more and more deaf.
The effects are cumulative and noticeable after a few years of being exposed to loud sounds.
A lot of people described effects similar to what I've experienced (like ringing in the ears) and are concerned about their health consequences on a long term.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know that up to a certain level of audio power, loud music can make you feel energized, euphoric, and more eager to dance.
But when the DJ raises the volume way above that level, you can already notice that you cannot communicate with your partner anymore.
IMHO, shouting in each other's ears (plus a "WHAAT?" after every 3 words) is not exactly the way two partners should communicate while dancing.

Also, some may argue that a high volume is necessary to make the music cover a noisy crowd. I agree with that, but again, there is an optimum range of the audio power in which everyone can here well the music as well as their partner. Also, I read that if the speakers are distributed and oriented properly in the dance hall then the power needed to cover the crowd is not as high as if the speakers are all located on one side of the dance hall.

So, what can I do to protect my hearing, in a club with very loud music? I can:
- ask the DJ to turn the volume down a notch.
- wear ear plugs. However, it might be uncomfortable to take them off whenever I want to talk (or shout :) to someone.
- dance/stay as far as possible from the speakers. However, that doesn't solve much, if the music is very very loud.
- get out. That would be a shame :)

My conclusion is that very loud music is something wrong not only for anyone's hearing, but also for the socializing aspect of Salsa (or any other social dance).

However, my opinion might be different from other's, and I'm curious to know other points of view on this subject. To make it easier for those who are too busy to write a message here, I opened a poll with various options, so please choose the one that you think reflects your opinion.

Cheers!
Salsaddict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually an interesting topic. Can you add another poll option that says "fine most of the time but certain clubs are louder then others" which is what I find. For the most part I am not affected but some clubs are really loud and you do notice it.

Not sure what can be done about it?
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that music is sometimes really defening in clubs as well. I have a friend who has actually suffered some mild hearing loss just from going to clubs!!

One thing you can do is wear earplugs when you go out. I have actually done this before. Yah, it's a little nerdy, but sometimes the music is just unbearably loud!
Valentin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salsaddict wrote:
... Can you add another poll option that says "fine most of the time but certain clubs are louder then others" which is what I find. For the most part I am not affected but some clubs are really loud and you do notice it.

Unfortunately I cannot add/delete/edit the options of the poll, but I think the option you suggested is mostly defined in the question of the poll.
Your suggested option refers to “certain clubs” while the question of the poll refers to “some clubs”: "Is the music too loud in some Salsa clubs?"

As you say “some clubs are really loud and you do notice it”, your answer to the question of the poll would be one of those 3 “Yes” options, but I don’t know which one of them.

Maybe I should have added an option like “Yes - somewhat between bearable and uncomfortable”.

Anyways, thanks for your opinion, it definitely counts.
KT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feelings are mixed. I definately enjoy the loud music when I'm dancing. But I think the lounge/seating area should be quieter, so those who are sitting out can relax and be able to have a half decent conversation with those around them, instead of constantly shouting "WHAT?!?!"
MissChievous

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel very uncomfortable with loud music in clubs. Unfortunately, most of the clubs play it really loud. I start feeling very disoriented quite soon just because of the volume of the music. I think it would be much nicer if they would play it on the comforting level.

Another thing that I find distressing is the lightning.
In most clubs the lights flashing right into the eyes and they are so bright that I literally go blind for a few moments and cannot even see my partner and this is affecting my dancing. Not to mention it hurt the eyes. Does anyone else feel the same?
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I totally get affected by the light... but more so in terms that sometimes areas of the club are so dark, I can't see clearly and my dancing suffers because of it. When I can't see properly, I don't feel comfortable doing complicated turns and crossbodies and I also miss some of the men's leading signals.
KT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the lighting is supposed to set the mood, but I do agree alot of clubs are too dark, and the contrast of the bright flashing lights is almost hazardous.

I feel like a snob sometimes when the students tell me after an outing that they saw me there, and waved at me or called me or whatever, but I couldn't see or hear them, cuz I can't see well in the dark, along with can't hear well with the noise. It sort of ruins the social aspect of things
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: