Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any students/helpers dance on2?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Any students/helpers dance on2? Reply with quote

Hey just wondering if anyone here dances on2? I understand that we learn on1 at toronto dance, but just wanted to know if there if there is anyone else that is comfortable with on2.
lindiloo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took an Intro to ON2 class at the Salsa Congress this month and it is definitely something I want to explore some more...
MissChievous

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a few classes On2. Its too early to say that I am comfortable with it, but I definitly would like to practice it.
Sharon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

I am considering adding an On2 course to our syllabus. If everyone could let me know if there is interest it would be great!

Thank for all your responses in advance!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
Salsa-in-review

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: On2 Interest Reply with quote

Definitely interested in an On2 class, especially if it is for those who are already at the intermediate level with a focus on bodymovement.

Nina and Alfred
MissChievous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested for sure sure if the classes will be held at Yonge/Finch location.
Might be interested if at the other locations--it depends on day and time.
lindiloo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take the on2 class, but would prefer at the Young/Finch location, if at all possible to coordinate.

I also hope to see more specialty class options added to the program to enhance what we have learned in Level 1-5 (which I'm sure would appeal to those of us who are at(or are approching) the intermediate level. For example: body movement, footwork, technique, more styling, etc.

- Linda
Sharon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're working on a few new specialty classes! Will keep you all posted. Keep the suggestions coming...they assist us!
MissChievous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we could have Bachata classes?
KT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about the same thing... I'd definately sign up for a semester of bachata!
lindiloo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KT wrote:
I was wondering about the same thing... I'd definately sign up for a semester of bachata!

Judging from the last time i danced bachata, I think many of us need some new moves!

A workshop(s) for bachata (and even merengue) may be an idea - may get more participants to commit to workshops as opposed to full semester...
Sharon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am looking at adding workshops next semester, maybe monthly if we have time. Bachata will definitely be on the list Smile Everyone seems to want it but it wouldn't make a very interesting 9 week class. So a workshop would make more sense. Thanks for the feedback...let me all know if you have other ideas!
AMR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Workshops! Reply with quote

Yes! Bachata and meringue workshops would be awesome! It's a bit easier to add salsa moves to meringue rythms but a I find most of the guys have trouble expanding their bachata repetoires. Cha-Cha too lease! Some workshops on timing and movement for these styles would be most helpful!!!
vorada

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Salsa on2 is fun Reply with quote

I just return from vacation from Cuba, where I was introduced to Salsa on 2.
Very nice and easy(?? -was for me) I did catch up with Cuban dancers on second day :- and felt comfortable enough.
The only thing I noticed much less spinning, almost no doubles
Would love to dance it on TDS outings
Sometimes I am thinking maybe it wasn't salsa on 2?
but it wasn't salsa on1 for sure Smile
Just Cuban style?Smile

Rada.
timbero1

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Cuba and on 2 Reply with quote

There is NO on 2 salsa dancing in Cuba. In fact, if you showed on 2 salsa dancing to Cuban dance teachers, they would tell you that it is wrong. They would tell you, you are on the wrong foot. They would say you are doing a "cheat" step in the beginning, which is the male step slightly back on 1 (before the break back with the right on 2)

Some Cubans say on 2 was invented for North Americans who couldn't hear the rhythm of salsa very well.

In on 1 "mambo" step, the slow of the quick quick slow is done when the feet are more or less together. With that said, Cuban style dancers play a lot with the feet, it is not always the "mambo" step back and forth. With a gradual placement of the feet a little back, a little ahead or to the side, you can actually do the slow of the quick quick slow when the feet are the furthest apart.

I think that was what you were dancing in Cuba. You were doing the slow of the quick quick slow when your feet were farthest apart and on 2 does the slow of the quick quick slow when the feet are the farthest apart also. On the other hand, the slow in on 1 mambo step is done when the feet are more or less together. However, i doubt you were doing the on 2 mambo step with Cubans as they do it in North America.

However, whether you do the slow when you feet are together or feet far apart, you are still on 1 at least for Cubans.

Now, another thing they might have taught is to dance to CONTRA TIEMPO on the upbeats of salsa music. LA style, New York styles and other Latin American styles are danced A TIEMPO on the downbeats of salsa music. Cuban style dancing can be danced A TIEMPO or CONTRATIEMPO. A TIEMPO falls more on the melody of the song and CONTRATIEMPO on the percussion of the song.

Most salsa teachers in Toronto cannot dance contratiempo to a song, because you really need to listen to the clave in the music. To dance contratiempo, you are still dancing to the clave, but your steps are hitting the diferent parts of it.

If you want to see people dancing Cuban style come Sunday to LURIN TAPAZ at 1032 St Clair Avenue West, Oakwood and Dufferin.

It is a small Peruvian restaurant on the second floor, where Vladimir Aranda teaches Cuban style, beginners 4 to 5pm, intermediates 5 to 6pm, and advanced 6 to 7pm. Or if you want to dance or watch, just come after 7pm, no cover. However, most people leave around 10pm.

Just come and check out, there is no cover and nobody pushes you to buy drinks. And it is the only bar or nightclub in Toronto where you can hear pure Cuban salsa (timba) music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: