Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lizt Alfonso Danza Cuba ¡VIDA!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Get-Togethers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Lizt Alfonso Danza Cuba ¡VIDA! Reply with quote

I just wanted to let everyone know about this dance/music spectacle that will be showing at The Royal Alexandra Theatre starting June 1, 2007.

Havana-based Danza Cuba is that nation's most popular company, and celebrated its fifteenth anniversary in 2006. It is the creation of the inspired Cuban choreographer and composer, Lizt Alfonso.

This is the world premiere of ¡VIDA! which links dancing and music with Cuba's social history, seen through the eyes of an old woman.

For tickets and performance shedules, check out http://www.mirvish.com/vida/
Toby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Vida Reply with quote

Loks interesting...will check it out. Also I hear that they are making the old original Dirty Dancing into a musical and it is coming to toronto later this year. If anyone hears any info, let us know!
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, there is a theatre performance for Dirty Dancing as well. I'll post the info up as well.
Sharon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: VIDA! Reply with quote

Hey Guys!

I went to see VIDA! over the weekend with Evan and I just wanted to let you know my thoughts.

It is a life story told through the eyes of an old Cuban woman. The dance troupe is all female and there is only one male who dances. If you are looking for a show with partner dancing this is definitely not the show for you which was my only disappointment. However, the female dance troupe was amazing, their choreography was well timed and executed and very clean. It was easy to see that a lot of practice went into the rehearsals and it showed.

The female lead was obviously my favourite dancer - she seemed to have a ballet and jaxx background but her afro-cuban movement was well executed.

Overall it was a great show. Again not a partner dance show like FloorPlay so be aware!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Vida yesterday and though I thought I would be disappointed I WASN'T.

This was an AMAZING dance production. The story was so heartwarming and the scenes, and dances were beautiful.

There were a few scenes of partner dancing that looked slightly like ballet/jazz.

The all women dance choreography parts looked a lot like Spanish flamenco dancing with the upright posture, heel stomping and skirt swirling, however there was a definite afro-cuban flavour in the way that their arms and bodies moved for some of the dances.

The story is of the Cuban social movement from the 1930s to the present through the eyes of an old woman named Vida. Sitting with her granddaughter, she reminisces the stages of her life through dance and song. Vida is represented as a little girl, as a teenager, an adult and an old woman.

With the all-female cast and a strong lead character, the production definitely had some feminist undertones....though not in a 'burn your bras" kind of way, but in a subtle and empowering and well-rounded way that conveyed both the soft and beautiful as well as the resilliant and strong.

Take advantage of the discount and see this production. It was beautiful!
SalsaTO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Vida Redux Reply with quote

I spoke with Lizt Alfonso at a media showing a few days before their first public performance, and she said she choreographed the whole thing as 'a dance in a dance in a dance.'

The feet were flamenco, that explains the clacking, but, if you really watched and listened to some of the pieces, they went on pointe in their flamenco shoes.

The beat was rumba or salsa or cha cha with a splash of tango. Mix some down and dirty Afro-Cuban and tempered with ballet bodies and jazz hands and you have the technique behind Vida!

The rest is a lot of hard work and passion that inspires the rest of us to expand our dance horizons and play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Get-Togethers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: