Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Timer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Helpers' Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackout1999

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: First Timer Reply with quote

What's really good, salsa people? Next semester will be the first time I will a helper for the level 1 and 2 classes. Even though I really looking forward to it, I'm also a bit nervous about it because I'm a first timer. I have read the do's and dont's and most of it is common sense. If anyone has any other advice they would like to share with me or any experiences they would like to share with me as well, holla back at ya boy. I am definitely looking forward to this semester. See you there. Very Happy
MissChievous

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Blackout,

Welcome to the helpers community Smile
Dont be nervous, you will do just fine. Just watch for those who needs help, be friendly and smile Smile

Good luck!!!
Tim

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a helper before. It was an interesting positive experience. Good exercise and re-learning moves you have forgot.

There is nothing to be nervous about. Everyone is here to have a good fun time to forget about the stress of work, school and other issues.

Good Luck,
Tim
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! Congrats on becoming a helper! If you're in rotation, just be as friendly and as encouraging as you can to make sure the students have a good time. Learn the moves as best as you can... and if you want a challenge....learn how to lead AND FOLLOW! That way you can help the girls in the class too! Try and guage the students....if they respond well to helpful hints, then you can let them know how to improve. If they are a little self conscious then point out what they are doing well and then show them one aspect that they can work on.
Most of all...just help the instructor make the class run as smoothly as possible. Which means showing up on time, listening when the instructor is talking, participating in the warm ups.....etc...

These are just some tips I can pass on from what I've learned as a helper. Look forward to seeing you in classes!
blackout1999

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

What's the deal, salsa people? I would like to say thanks to Kimberlita, Misschevious and Tim(I think that's his name) for giving me some advice and sharing their experience as a helper. As far as learning how to be a follower, I think I going to need some help on that aspect but I will definitely give it my best effort. Keep the advice and experiences coming. I'll see you guys in 2 weeks. Holla back at ya boy!
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning the opposite roles is really fun and useful skill to know for a helper.

Some of the guys have learned how to do their arm threads and pops really well! haha...especially funny is to see guys do the waist turn!
blackout1999

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Waist turn? Reply with quote

What's really good? Waist turn? Sonehow, I think absolutely hillarious is a more accurate description since I'm not known for getting in touch with my feminine side. But, a man gotta do what a man's gotta do. I'm still looking forward to it, I think? Confused Nah, just playing. Definitely looking forward to it. Holla back at ay boy!
Alex

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a funny story happened to me during my 1 level with TDS related to this conversation.
It was a really major snowstorm one class-day and only 9 guys (including 5 helpers) and 2 girls show up! Guess what – we decided not to call it quit (thanks to Sharon for the encouragement) and so we danced. I tell you it was fun and our male helpers did a really good job – they did follow very well, LOL. I will remember that class for a long time for sure Smile

I am a new helper now myself for the summer semester – will try to learn how to follow too – who knows –maybe these skill will be utilized one day (next winter snowstorm?) Smile

Cheers.

Alex.

Kimberlita wrote:
YAY! Congrats on becoming a helper! If you're in rotation, just be as friendly and as encouraging as you can to make sure the students have a good time. Learn the moves as best as you can... and if you want a challenge....learn how to lead AND FOLLOW! That way you can help the girls in the class too! Try and guage the students....if they respond well to helpful hints, then you can let them know how to improve. If they are a little self conscious then point out what they are doing well and then show them one aspect that they can work on.
Most of all...just help the instructor make the class run as smoothly as possible. Which means showing up on time, listening when the instructor is talking, participating in the warm ups.....etc...

These are just some tips I can pass on from what I've learned as a helper. Look forward to seeing you in classes!
Sharon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: I remember! Reply with quote

Ha ha I remember that evening very clearly Alex!! Actually it was one of my favourite classes. I was so worried about all the men and no women - the snow storm was so bad outside. So I kept rotating through the men. But after a while no one wanted to rotate with me Smile The men were quite happy dancing with James, Evan and Kamil....it was hilarious!!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
blackout1999

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: There will be more Reply with quote

What's really good? I just have this feeling there will be more funny moments like that, especially if I'm trying to learn how to follow for the first time. Like I said, I'm not known for getting in touch with my feminine side but there's always a first time for everything. Laughing
Speaking of funny stories, I remember one class in level 4 where we had to learn a really turn-crazy combo and it ended with a shoulder turn using your hand. I was Sara's partner at the time. Let's just say because it was the first time I had tried that move, I almost ended up slapping her in the face which also led to a lot of women either getting nearly slapped in the face and/or falling down because of they were getting so dizzy from too many turns. However, my most painful and funniest moment was during level 2 when I was elbowed in the nose by Christianne.
Well, I definitely looking forward to more funny moments. See you later, salsa people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Helpers' Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: