Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to eat and meet after salsa classes or outtings?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Get-Togethers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Where to eat and meet after salsa classes or outtings? Reply with quote

It's a well known fact that for some reason TDS salsa and sushi go together like wine and cheese. At least I can speak this on behalf of the helpers (one of our helper's outtings was to learn both how to salsa and how to make sushi)

Where does everyone like to eat either after class or before a salsa outting?

My favourite post salsa eats on a Friday after assisting classes for 3 hours are HANDS DOWN, Sushi Inn in Yorkville (spicy tuna maki) and Big Daddy's on King St. (seafood fondue)

What do you all think? What are some good restaurants near the salsa clubs/schools?

Regular Clubs:
Plaza Flamingo/El Rancho
Acrobat Lounge/6 Degrees
Montana
Babaluu's
Vida

Classes:
Adelaide Club
Northridge Club
Eastminister

And those of you who go home straight after classes/outtings are missing out on some good food and fun!
AnthonyF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love going to "New Generation Sushi". Another Japanese restaurant near it is "sushi on bloor". It's about 15 min walk from Plaza Flamingo and El Rancho. hmmmm sushi....

SUSHI ON BLOOR
(416) 516-3456
515 Bloor Street West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1Y4
Hours of Operation:

Monday - Thursday
12:00pm-10:45pm
Friday - Saturday
12:00pm-12:00am
Sunday
12:00pm-10:00pm

New Generation Sushi
493 Bloor Street West,
Toronto, Ontario,
M5S 1Y2

Sunday to Saturday
12:00 PM to 2:00 AM
Tel: 416-963-8861
Fax: 416-963-8916
KT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both sushi places are also AWESOME after hours of dancing at the Saturday Salsa Practice! They are literally 1 block away from the church!
Rad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Where to eat and meet after salsa classes or outtings? Reply with quote

Kimberlita wrote:
And those of you who go home straight after classes/outtings are missing out on some good food and fun!

I have a joke about this... In my opinion “Missing some food  is always good!”  : ))   But missing FUN – never!  However, sometimes you can’t resist the good food. :)   I personally prefer the Himalayan and Nepalese cuisine of Mt.Everest Restaurant at 469 Bloor St. West. It is very close to Trinity St. Paul’s Church if you go to Toronto Salsa Practice Saturdays (I didn’t get a chance so far). They even have lunch buffet from 12:00 PM to 3:00 PM.   Just try the taste of Himalayas...
KT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my top picks:

Plaza Flamingo/El Rancho

Plaza Flamingo (the restaurant) - They have some really yummy food on their menu. The seafood selections in particular are fantastic. Haven't yet tried their buffets, but they smell sooooo good when you leave the club at night, you can only imagine how good it tastes

Bubble tea - Not sure the exact name of the place but it's next door to Plaza. Very nice and refreshing treat after dancing.

Acrobat Lounge/6 Degrees

Pickle Barrel - Inside the Yonge + Eglinton Mall

Sushi Kai - On Eglinton close to Mt Pleasant

Sushi Star - All you can eat. On Eglinton close to Mt Pleasant

Montana

Montana (the resturant)

Milestones - Across the street next to Paramount

Korean Grill - All you can eat. On Queen St. across from the CityTV building

Sushi Time - On Queen St.

Cripsy Rolls - On Queen St. across from Korean Grill

Babaluu's

SUSHI INN - Yorkville

Flow - Across the street from Babaluu's

Adelaide Club

Finn McCool - On Adelaide, near University

Big Daddy's - On King, across from Roy Thomson Hall

Beer Bistrol - King and Yonge

Eastminister

Cafe Demetres - Danforth and Chester... Best Waffles in town

Myth - Danforth and Chester

Mariko Sushi - Danforth an Chester

Katsu Sushi - Danforth and Pape

Licks - Danforth and Pape
Sonnislav

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow ... lots of choices...

back when I thought I was an immortal (when ignorance was bliss and the words cholesterol, blood pressure and fat were meaningless)... club nights or rather mornings left few choices...

it was either Swatow on Spadina north of Dundas or Goldstone also on Spadina south of Dundas. Swatow is the typical Chinese fare of sauteed rice noodles with the various meats or ying-yang (well not really ying yang but that was what I called it) fried rice and some shrimp dumpling with egg noodles in soup (similar to won ton mein)... Goldstone is a BBQ place and being so busy even at 1-2 AM the BBQ pork, roast pork, or BBQ duck or BBQ chicken was still good tasting...

one of the fave place when it wasn't too late was Kenny's Noodle house in Scarborough or Richmond Hill... shrimp dumpling w/ egg noodles in their yummy house broth, spicy pan fried turnip cake with X.O. sauce, large steamed mussel in black bean sauce, sizzling beef in onions and black bean sauce and then to assuage the health conscious mind (lol!) some steamed Chinese brocoli in oyster sauce to get the intake of fiber and greens... unfortunately haven't had this for over two years because family doctor said I was fat! Sad Ever wonder why God made good/great tasting food bad for our health???? If only Häagen-Dazs ice cream were good for our health I would be the healthiest person on Earth! Razz

not a fan of sushi (I always say God gave us fire, the microwave and the BBQ to make sure our food is dead before we eat it! Smile ) but right now my fav food is the controversial foie gras... best one was in Montreal at a fancy pancy restaurant...
KT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sounds like some yummy suggestions. Are there any salsa clubs in those areas?
Sonnislav

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm not sure... just re-calling where I used to eat when I was in my youth... Smile

btw the best place for foie gras in T.O. is Bymark... http://www.bymarkdowntown.com/
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to eat and meet after salsa classes or outtings? Reply with quote

[quote="Rad"]
Kimberlita wrote:
Himalayan and Nepalese cuisine of Mt.Everest Restaurant at 469 Bloor St. West. It is very close to Trinity St. Paul’s Church if you go to Toronto Salsa Practice Saturdays (I didn’t get a chance so far). They even have lunch buffet from 12:00 PM to 3:00 PM.   Just try the taste of Himalayas...

that sounds awesome! i've never tried that type of cuisine before, and am always look to try new foods! Thanks for the suggestion. I have not yet tried the Toronto Salsa Practice on Saturdays either, but maybe with the EXTRA incentive to try the restaurant, I just might make it out.
Rad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Where to eat and meet after salsa classes or outtings? Reply with quote

Kimberlita wrote:
that sounds awesome! i've never tried that type of cuisine before, and am always look to try new foods! Thanks for the suggestion. I have not yet tried the Toronto Salsa Practice on Saturdays either, but maybe with the EXTRA incentive to try the restaurant, I just might make it out.

If you like Mediterranean food (or if you’ve never tried) I would suggest you the Middle Eastern Plate with Falafel and Lamb at  By The Way Café (400 Bloor St. West)  or Sarah’s Shawarma – just across the street – the best shawarma in the city.  And, you probably know, there are lots of sushi restaurants on Bloor Street, but  Sushi on Bloor is really a good one (515 Bloor Street West)  :))  Good appetite!
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another amazing sushi discovery not too far from Plaza Flamingo and El Rancho is on the southwest corner of College and Manning. IT's called Sushi Island. The decor is crap, but the food is amazing. They have 16.99 all-you-can eat option where you can order anything off the menu (except sashimi) including appetizers and dessert. Such a good deal. The a la carte prices are also a good deal..
I’m not usually a big fan of all-you-can-eat, but this place makes the sushi fresh to order and they have some really creative maki rolls like, crispy fried whitefish with hot peppers and mayo and shrimp tempura with fresh green grapes. SO good.
garish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's with the sushi guys? i myself isno't really a big fun of it...although i don't mind eat it..but my fav would have to go with korean food, spicy all the way Very Happy
Rad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Garish, give us a suggestion for a good Korean restaurant around downtown. I’ve tried Korean and I like it!
Cheers :)
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean BBQ is really good, i have to agree!
KT suggested the Korean Grill on Queen St, west of University.

I know there's anotherone that's pretty good one on Yonge just north of Dundas. And there's always Korea town at Bloor and Christie!

Sushi and Latin culture is not unique to just Toronto Dance Salsa. There is this restuarant I went to in Chicago called Sushi Samba http://www.sushisamba.com/top.html (also in NYC and Miami) It is a Japanese Brazilian and Peruvian fusion restaurant based on the Japanese emigrating to Latin America in the 20th Century to take part in the coffee industry. Cool restaurant. If you're ever in either of these cities, check it out.

I think Toronto should open a Sushi Salsa complete with a dancefloor for afterward!!
Rad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, are we salsa lovers or food lovers? ;))   Kidding :)

At the risk of making this topic the biggest in the forum I’ll just post one more ...

Balkans food is amazing, as well!   You could try excellent Bulgarian food at Mehana (1383 Danforth Ave) and Madera (836 Danforth Ave). Also, my favourite among many Greek restaurants is Pantheon (407 Danforth Ave)

Wow, I’m getting hungry!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Get-Togethers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: